Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Conan! The Barbarian!

I had those over-sized, black & white Marvel comics when i was 7 or something. The only thing that I liked about those comics were the gorgeous art & the pretty ladies. Never really understood why these half naked, beautiful women were throwing themselves at this oafish looking brute...

More than 2 decades later, I find out Brian Wood (he of Northlander, DMZ, Local, Demo, Channel Zero fame) was gonna be adapting the Queen of the Black Coast story along with Becky Cloonan (Wood's Demo). I am a fan of both creators... so why not give their Conan run a shot? I did. Bought the first 5 issues & i highly enjoyed it! I'm really liking this brash, innocent (to a certain degree), young version of Conan. Got bored with the first 3 issues tho, but it was mostly a setup (Cloonan's art was fantastics!). The story started getting interesting with the new arc (with very dynamic art by James Harren, Dave Stewart does some solid coloring for all the issues).

Here's a quickie fan art ...

 

Brush pen & some water colors... no feet (because I suck at drawing 'em), generic dungeon background. :)

No comments: